Monday, January 14, 2008

Reflections on my New Hampshire Internship

At one point in my internship I compared my New Hampshire experience to my initiation week when I joined a fraternity. Back then I referred to initiation week as "one of the best experiences of my life which I would prefer to never endure again." I was wrong; less than one week later I am already missing the campaign trail.

As much as I love the wonderful weather in Florida, there is so much I miss about New Hampshire. I miss the good-spirited people that listened to what I had to say, even though they had been hearing much of it for over a year. I miss the engaged electorate, the honking horns of cars passing by, and the intensity of people's convictions...even the convictions of those supporting other candidates. I miss the late night discussions with my classmates about the candidates and campaigns. I am sure I could go on...

Less than a week after arriving home I find myself looking over the list of places which will vote on Super Duper Tuesday and tracking down my new friends from the trenches of Nashua. Most appear to be headed for New Jersey, but there are also others in Connecticut and Massachusetts. It may be time to cash in those frequent flyer miles, pack my bags, and put those boots I bought a few weeks ago back to work. I will probably decide in a few days. Once I decide, I'll come back and post it here. Anyone else interested in going on the road?

No comments: